Depression.

https://www.wellsoul.live/

Depression is actually the word that describes a mood. However, since it is also used to describe a psychiatric disorder, it has gradually become a disease name. When it is said to be depressed for a person, it is understood to be in a kind of mental depression. In daily life, everyone may feel depressed, sad, unhappy and even pessimistic at times. The difference in depression sickness from the usual daily mood or demoralization is that the person only:


(1) not only to feel emotionally sad, unhappy, sad but besides
(2) being in despair, helplessness, and pessimism about his condition as a thought, perceiving himself as inadequate and worthless in this situation and even seeing suicide as a solution,
(3) isolating himself from the society as a behavior, becoming closed, gradually stagnant, not enjoying anything and showing reluctance; and
(4) is physically impaired sleep and appetite.

Everyday events necessarily affect people's moods, but the difference from depression is that the person does not feel unsolved and insufficient. While the person whose mood of daily events deteriorates feels better again with positive developments, the person in depression does not feel better depending on the events. For this reason, it is an erroneous approach to conceptualize all daily moods or temporary despair situations as depression.

Considering the prevalence of depression disease, according to a study published at the beginning of 2010, it is seen in the society between 8-10%. The risk of lifelong illness will be one of ten men in men, and one in every four or five women in women, at least once in their lifetime.

On the other hand, in depression that is not treated effectively, the risk of suicide and death (completed suicide risk) is around 15%. Apart from this, patients cannot continue their activities in life and their work, family and social lives are negatively affected. Depression is currently fourth in diseases that cause the most disability in the world and will be second in 2020. In developed countries, it is always the first in terms of disability. At the same time, poorly treated depression paves the way for alcohol and substance use problems and other mental illnesses. Prolonged and poorly treated depression also prepares the ground for physical illness and worsens the course of physical illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease, and even increases the risk of death.

Depression is a disease that must be treated effectively by psychiatrists. However, in a study conducted in the United States, 49% of depressed patients do not receive any treatment. The remaining 51 percent, however, only 21% receive effective and meaningful treatment, while the rest are distracted by treatments that have no therapeutic value or meaning. For this reason, depression must be correctly recognized and treated.

There is always a debate that antidepressant drug treatments do not work and do not work. However, studies show that antidepressants are very successful when depression is found at the disease level. But if depression is not a disease, but at the level of everyday mood, antidepressants do not work. In other words, while effective treatment is absolutely necessary for depression, it should not be treated as if it is a patient who experiences only depression or sadness or unhappiness due to the events he/she experiences. Psychiatrists can differentiate this. Antidepressant drugs are a group of drugs used to treat a disease. It is never moral doping, a drug of happiness, a drug that makes you forget about numbness or a habitual drug. They are chemical substances used in the treatment and making adjustments in the work of the brain. Antidepressant drugs are used successfully in depression and up to 80% of satisfying results are obtained.

In addition to antidepressant treatments, psychotherapies are applied to patients. These treatments are methods based on various theories and their foundations have been established over the years. These treatments are the treatments that are used to solve the mental conflicts of the person called psychoanalysis, and the treatments that are used to replace the negative thought patterns and behavioral patterns in the mental structure of the so-called cognitive-behavioral therapy with functional ones. It is not correct to accept efforts as therapeutic interventions or therapies that do not rely on other theories, teach the patient or regulate his life. They keep patients entertained with everyday comfort.

As a result, depression is one of the most common and most disabling diseases for psychiatric diseases. When properly recognized and treated effectively, it does not create a public health problem. However, depression that is not properly treated by non-specialists has many other problems.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post